Friday, October 26, 2012

Can You Count To Ten?


Sitting in a restaurant in Chattanooga, Tennessee I overheard an interesting conversation.  So, blatantly eavesdropping, I listened to two men talking about the 100 verses that every Bible-believing Christian should know.  The discussion was passionate and heart-felt and it got me thinking.  

Since the Word of God is a living, dynamic book which God uses to speak truth into our hearts through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, it is an extremely personal thing to consider what verses have most impacted your life.  What a blessing it’s been to contemplate the last 44 years and meditate on how God has used the Scriptures to quite literally change my life.  What specific verses has God used to teach, comfort, challenge, or convict me?  

Thinking of a list of 100 is overwhelming, BUT I would suggest that every Christian who claims to be a person of the book should be able to point to at least ten places in the scriptures that could be called “life-changing.”  Can you?  Can you count to ten?  Sit down with a blank piece of paper and write a verse that’s meant a lot in your life.  Maybe you can’t quote it word-perfect but you know where it’s found and you understand what it has said to your Christian experience.  I promise, it will be a blessing, a praise to the Lord, and just plain fun. 

And just for fun, I’m giving you the ten verses (or sets of verses) that have, with Christ’s help, changed my life.  They are NOT in any kind of order of importance, but each one is significant to me and my Christian walk. 

1.  (My life verse) The importance of God’s Word in my life - Ezra 7:10 - For Ezra had set his heart to study the law of the Lord and to practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances in Israel.  

2.   My assurance that I have eternal life because I have Jesus - 1 John 5:11–13 - and the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.  

3.   God is able to do anything with me - Luke 1:37 - For nothing will be impossible with God.”  

4.   God is able to do anything through me - Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.  

5.   I should be ambitious to lead a life at peace in order to have a good testimony to those outside the faith - 1 Thessalonians 4:11–12 - and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands, just as we commanded you, so that you will behave properly toward outsiders and not be in any need.  

6.   I should consider Christ as THE power controlling my life – 1 Peter 5:6 - Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, 

7.   Nothing that happens to me will negatively impact my faith in the Lord - Job 13:15a - Though He slay me, I will hope in Him…  

8.   I make my plans BUT God is in charge of my life - Proverbs 16:9 - The mind of man plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps.  

9.   Even when times are hard and my family doesn’t understand, God renews His blessings in my life – I have confidence in Him - Lamentations 3:14, 21-24 - I have become a laughingstock to all my people, Their mocking song all the day. --- This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I have hope in Him.”  

10.   When I’m surrounded by tough circumstances and I don’t know what to do – I just look to Jesus – He fights my fights - 2 Chronicles 20:12, 17 -  “O our God, will You not judge them? For we are powerless before this great multitude who are coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are on You.” --- ‘You need not fight in this battle; station yourselves, stand and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem.’ Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out to face them, for the Lord is with you.”  

Well, that’s my list.  What’s yours?  Spend a little time reviewing your life and the times when a verse really spoke to you.  For me, it turned into a real time of worship and thanksgiving.  What an amazing God we have!

Count to ten - have fun and let me know what happens.

 
Think about it….

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. I'd love to hear your thoughts right here.