Thursday, April 22, 2010

Job Hunting Is Like Wrestling Angels

Experts tell us that the best way to succeed in a job search is to keep at it. When we're discouraged, disappointed, overwhelmed and on the verge of giving up, we must keep going.

I see a wonderful example of that in the Bible book of Genesis, chapter 32, verse 26. Jacob has spent the night wrestling with an angel. It's been tough. At one point the angel dislocates Jacob's hip. That's painful. It reminds me of some of the painful experiences of my job search. There were times when I've left an interview or networking meeting and I felt something was definitely dislocated. But, just like Jacob, we can't give up just because of a little pain. We must hold on and keep wrestling.

In our job hunting we must have the same attitude Jacob had in Genesis 32:26. His basic prayer was, "I won't stop until you bless me!" God responds well to perseverance. In fact, He commands us to persevere.

Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial;
for once he has been approved, 
he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. 
James 1:12 (New American Standard Updated)

And the great news is that He even provides the power to keep going. That's a great picture of God's grace during unemployment.

The Lord is my strength and my shield;
My heart trusts in Him, and I am helped;
Therefore my heart exults, And with my song I shall thank Him. 
Psalm 28:7 (NASB)

He wants us to hang on and be blessed and He helps us hang on and be blessed. We've just got to decide to do it.

Jacob hangs on and in Genesis 32:28,29 is given a blessing and a new name reflecting his determination. "Israel" means "he who strives with God." Now, did Jacob overpower the angel and force God to give a blessing? No! At any time God could have overcome Jacob's desire to hang on. But God likes determination and perseverance - especially when they are exercised in a desire for His blessing.

In your job hunt, hang on! Keep at it! Wrestle with the situation. God will bless you for it.

For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, 
so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.
Now may the God who gives perseverance and encouragement 
grant you to be of the same mind with one another according to Christ Jesus, 
so that with one accord you may
with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. 
Romans 15:4-6 (NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy. I'd love to hear your thoughts right here.